Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Ornament Tutorial

I'm always experimenting with things and one day I had this idea to print my digi-scrapping onto some tissue paper to see how it would look. I knew in the stamping world it was a technique used to put stamped designs onto candles. I had done it before and loved the end result. So it got me thinking about all those ceramic ornaments I had purchased at Michael's craft store for a $1.00... and were still sitting in my closet from last year. I printed out my image and I was pleased with the results. Although my image wasn't perfect it had a cool aged effect to it. These are fun and inexpensive gifts or keepsakes that allow limitless creativity. Once you you glue your image on you can add ribbon and bling to further deck them out.
Instructions:

Step 1: Gather your supplies: Tissue paper, scissors, tape, card stock, digi-scrapped picture, scanner, Mod Podge (not pictured), foam brush, ceramic ornament, ribbon and any extra "bling" you might want to add.

Step 2: Create your template by scanning your ornament (remove any ribbon) against a black background. I use PSE 6.0 and/or CS4 and use the quick selection tool and then clean up the edges with the lasso tool. Once you are satisfied with the selection you will need to contract your image by 8 pixels. Select>Modify>Contract by 8 pixels and click ok. Now you will have your template to digi-scrap on.

Step 3: Digi-scrap your template with digital supplies and a picture. Be creative and have fun!
Step 4: Now get your card stock, tissue paper, tape and sicssors. Cut a piece of tissue paper out that is about one inch smaller all the way around than your card stock (refer to picture). When taping the tissue to your card stock make sure you keep it as smooth as possible.

Step 5: Printing. Print your image in the very center of the page. When printing you may need to experiment with your printer settings to get the best result. I use an Espon R320 and use "Bright White Paper" , "Advanced" and "Photo" settings.
Step 6: Once printed cut out your design. Make sure your design lines up with your ornament.

Step 7: Now put a thin layer of Mod Podge on your ornament with your brush. Next, carefully place your design on your ornament. Tissue paper will tear easily and you need to properly place it on the first time. Once it's laid flat gently smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. Let it dry.

Step 8: After drying, layer another thin coat of Mod Podge on the top. Let dry.

Step 9: Add your ribbon and any additional "bling".

1 comment:

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

Great ornament! I have never had luck printing to tissue...so I am even that much more impressed with this!!
hugs, Jami